[ECOS] Deferring network initialisation

Andrew Lunn andrew@lunn.ch
Fri Jan 16 19:44:00 GMT 2004

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 12:12:33PM +0100, Robin Randhawa wrote:
> Greetings again.
>
> Andrew, my application wishes to prevent any ethernet frame from being
> transmitted until a certain event
> occurs.
>
> My observation (which seems to be flawed) was that irrespective of a call to
> init_all_network_interfaces (), a gratuitous ARP request was being made by
> the stack. I assumed that this was being done by a static constructor at init
> time.
>
> Is it correct to assume then, that ethernet frames would be transmitted out
> only after a call to init_all_network_interfaces () and that nothing else
> would cause any ethernet transmission ?

Yes, thats a safe assumption. The stack does not even know it has an
ethernet device until init_all_network_interfaces() has been called.

As soon as you do call init_all_network_interfaces() it will send an
arp request. It arps the IP address of its own interface to find out
if some other device is using that address. That could be whats what
you sore.

    Andrew