SV: [ECOS] Gigabit Ethernet throughput on XScale

Eric Doenges Eric.Doenges@DynaPel.com
Tue Jan 13 13:46:00 GMT 2004

Andrew Lunn wrote:

[ ... ]

> It sounds reasonable, but it will depend on a number of things eg the
> the choice of Ethernet chip, the size of the packets you send, the
> available CPU bandwidth, etc.
>
> I would ask around and see if anybody else has a similar setup and see
> what performance they get.

Just want to add some numbers here: I use a 216MHz Equator BSP-15, which
is a RISC/DSP hybrid that should roughly compare to other 200MHz RISC
architectures for tasks like networking, with a RealTek 8139 100MBit
PCI ethernet controller. Using TFTP to download images from, I get
around 500kByte/s throughput (this is not a typo, unfortunately). Using
the eCos test programs, I got around 1.8 MByte/s maximum (if I remember
correctly; it may have been half that). Linux on the same architecture
is only marginally faster, so I don't think it's a driver issue (note
that I'm biased, since I wrote the driver 8^).

 From a performance perspective, the 8139 is a very poor choice because
it depends very heavily on CPU performance and memory bandwidth. You may
be able to get the performance you need from an Xscale/8139 combination,
but I wouldn't bet on it.
|     Eric Doenges              |     DynaPel Laboratories GmbH    |
|     Tel: +49 89 962428 23     |     Fraunhoferstrasse 9/2        |
|     Fax: +49 89 962428 90     |     D - 85737 Ismaning, Germany  |