[ECOS] Can someone fix this mailing list?

Alex Schuilenburg alexs@ecoscentric.com
Fri Dec 24 15:41:00 GMT 2004

Gary Thomas wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 21:20, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
>
>>I'm getting tired of hitting Reply, and finding that my message only goes to
>>the person who sent the message I'm replying to, and then having to resend
>>the message. (Or worse, never noticing that that's what happened.) Of the
>>two dozen or so lists I'm on, this is the only one that doesn't insert a
>>Reply-To address in the header, pointing to the list server. If Yahoo can
>>get this right, you'd think that sourceware.org could manage it.
>

> Sorry, but no.  We've been around this topic before and the consensus
> is that automatic reply-to the list address causes much more pain than
> having to hit "reply to all".

IIRC the main reason for this was all the broken out-of-the-office style
autoresponders spamming the list, as well as delivery failures.

However, list software has come along quite a way since then so surely
e.s.o. could be updated? I know how easy it is to hit reply-to rather
than reply-all.

For a list that strongly encourages people to reply to the list rather
than responders directly, the current setup is counter-productive in
this respect. It seems only sensible to use the reply-to fields. At the
very least this will get rid of all the accidental direct email
list, and will stop duplicates if you happen to be involved in a thread.
(Yes, I use procmail to strip duplicates, but not everyone uses a decent
OS or mailer).

-- Alex