[ECOS] Watchdog

Daniel Gomes danielcgomes@yahoo.com.br
Fri Dec 17 16:04:00 GMT 2004

It also depends upon the kind of use you want for your
watchdog.

Let's say, if you wish the watchdog to reset on
possible software locks, like deadlocks or starvation
scenarios, you should put your watchdog "kick" after
the calls that may cause the hang.

If you put a watchdog kick in a high priority
interruption, your software can stop working or lock,
but the interruption may keeps the dog happy, even
your main thread being locked.

I usually kick the watchdog in the last state of the
state machine, after all possible harmfull calls had
been called. But, this can cause problems in
assynchronous calls ...

 --- Wayne Gemmell <waynetg@telkomsa.net> escreveu:
> On Friday 17 December 2004 15:05, Gary Thomas wrote:
> > Wayne Gemmell said:
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > The way I understand it the watchdog needs to be
> reset every >2.5 seconds
> > > or the hardware gets reset.
> >
> > This is hardware/platform dependent, but in
> general, this is how watchdogs
> > work.
> >
> > > Would the best way to implement this be to
> spread resets all over the
> > > program or to run a high priority thread that
> runs reset at the
> > > designated interval?
> >
> > A high priority thread would do, or possibly a
> separate high priority timer
> > and service the watchdog in the ISR.
> >
> > It's probably better to isolate the watchdog
> service to one location rather
> > than messing about all over the place.
> Thanks :-)
>
> --