[ECOS] [RedBoot]porting problems

Gary Thomas gary@mlbassoc.com
Sun Aug 22 11:58:00 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 00:35, Yuan Jianghai wrote:
> Hello,I'm proting redboot to a PowerPC platform.
> HAL Proting Guide says "Some eCos platforms have supported full debugging
> capabilities via CygMon since day one. Platforms of the architectures
> PowerPC, ARM, and SH do not provide those features unless a GDB stub is
> included in the application."
> I'm not clear whether the redboot has a GDB stub and whether my platform
> can support full debugging functions after the porting completed.

This statement is very dated and quite inaccurate.  All of the mentioned
architectures have supported RedBoot ports which provide a complete
debug environment exclusive of GDB stubs within the application.

RedBoot ports typically do include GDB stubs and provide this to
downloaded applications so that they don't need to have the stubs
themselves.  Rest assured that PowerPC ports definitely do support
GDB via RedBoot implicitly.

n.b. I'll update [the dated comments in] the porting guide.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates