[ECOS] Re: PC targets and ethernet

John Dallaway jld@ecoscentric.com
Thu Aug 12 08:15:00 GMT 2004

Hi Andrew

Andrew Lunn wrote:

>>The scheme you propose will not work with the eCos Configuration Tool
>>which prevents users from adding/removing _hardware_ packages from their
>>configuration.
>
> lunn@londo:~/eCos$ ecosconfig new csb281
> lunn@londo:~/eCos/tmp$ ecosconfig remove CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_INTEL_I82559
> lunn@londo:~/eCos/tmp$
>
> package CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_INTEL_I82559 {
>         alias           { "Intel 82559 ethernet driver"
>                            devs_eth_intel_i82559 i82559_eth_driver }
>         hardware
>         directory       devs/eth/intel/i82559
>         script          intel_i82559_eth_drivers.cdl
>         description     "Ethernet driver for Intel 82559 NIC."
> }
>
> So I presume you mean the GUI tool has this limitation. It seems the
> CLI tool has no problems with this.

Correct. Hence my reference to "eCos Configuration Tool" rather than
"ecosconfig" above.

> Question: Why should hardware packages not be removable?

This was a design decision intended to prevent users from modifying
their configuration to such an extent that it was effectively targetting
a different board. The eCos Configuration Tool uses the selected
"Hardware Template" (target) for more than just package selection. For
example, the "Run Tests" feature requires knowledge of the selected board.

John Dallaway
eCosCentric Limited