[ECOS] RedBoot DHCP broken?

Chris Garry cgarry@sweeneydesign.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 16:53:00 GMT 2003

> > When I build RedBoot with the latest sources, DHCP is not working.
> > I get the following output from RedBoot:
> >
> > ... waiting for BOOTP information
> > Invalid DHCP state: 1
> > Can't get BOOTP info, using default IP address
> >
> > All other network operations are working okay.
> >
> > When I use Ethereal to check the packets sent at boot time, no packets
> > are seen from RedBoot at all.
> >
> > After a quick bit of debugging it seems that in the file
> > redboot\current\src\net\bootp.c in the function
> > __bootp_find_local_ip()
> >
> > the function call:
> > __udp_send((char *)&b, txSize, &r, IPPORT_BOOTPS, IPPORT_BOOTPC);
> > at line 250 is called and returns a value 0, but no packets make it out onto the
> > wire.  Thus when the subsequent code is waiting for a response, it does not
> > get one.
> >
> > Has anybody else built RedBoot with the latest code and seen/not seen
> > this problem?
>
> No, I've not seen this problem, but I am interested since I [obviously]
> broke it for you.  A few questions:
>   * Did it work before?

Yes, it did work before.

>   * Is your server set up for DHCP, or BOOTP only?

DHCP only.

>   * Have you seen the traffic before these changes?  [This might just be
>     a network snoop issue]

I had not seen the traffic before - never bothered looking.  However, I can see
the traffic for operations that currently work (ping and so on).

>   * Try forcing the network debug code on.
> Can you try things with the attached patch?  Let me know what you find.

Tried the patch, and it is now working!
The output is now:

... waiting for BOOTP information
Ethernet eth0: MAC address de:ad:be:ef:00:01
IP: 192.168.11.91/255.255.255.0, Gateway: 192.168.11.1
Default server: 0.0.0.0, DNS server IP: 0.0.0.0

I assume the 'Default server' and 'DNS server IP' values are
taken from the config area in FLASH rather than the DHCP
server.

Thanks,
Chris