[ECOS] RE: YES! redboot and eb40a success story :)

Øyvind Harboe oyvind.harboe@zylin.com
Fri Sep 19 07:24:00 GMT 2003

>I want to ask if somebody could advise me to do the same with the
>BDI2000 debugger. If I am right, I should easily be able to put the
>_same_ binary via jtag to the RAM and start it or not?

I'm using the BDI2000 on an EB40a and it works without too
many hitches.

Here is my typical debug cycle to write an app to flash and
debug it:

- compile new app.
- launch the tfptserv such that the BDI2000 can access files
on my harddrive
- telnet to the BDI2000
- I've been fiddling around in the BDI config files from time
to another, and I've included mine in case they contain
anything of interest :-)

>From the BDI2000 prompt:
--------------------
EB40A>reset
- TARGET: processing reset request
[output deleted]
- TARGET: processing target startup passedEB40A>erase
Erasing flash at 0x01000000
[output deleted]
Erasing flash passed
EB40A>prog 0x1000000
c:\e21\workspace\bootloader\output\rimibootloader.bin bin
Programming c:\e21\workspace\bootloader\output\rimibootloader.bin ,
please wait
Programming flash passed
EB40A>go 0x1000000

--------------------

Here is a debug session(notice how I change the PC to account for the
BDI having run the remap command):

--------------------
$ arm-elf-gdb bootloader/output/rimibootloader.elf
GNU gdb 5.3 (eCosCentric)
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=arm-elf"...
(gdb) target remote 192.168.222.200:2001
Remote debugging using 192.168.222.200:2001
0x00000018 in __rom_vectors_lma ()
(gdb) monitor reset
(gdb) set $pc=0x1000000
(gdb) c
Continuing.
---------------------

>I fiddled around
>today but I did not manage it. I saw that the offset and PC Register
>adresses are hardcoded in the binaries and the BDI2000 takes care of
>them, is that correct? May be something is wrong there...

The flash "prog" command supports bin, elf, srec, but you need to
specify
which format you are using. Use the "load" command for loading your
apps to RAM(I haven't used it since I don't need it).

>If I manage to start that image it should easily be able to me (with my
>new expierence then) to put redboot.ROM.elf directly into flash and
boot
>it after hard reset, or not?

Note that there is a slight complication in that the BDI2000 sets up the
addresses upon a reset(it has executed the remap command already).

Thats why I wrote the patch below:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-patches/2003-09/msg00049.html

Øyvind