[ECOS] ecos build system remarks (configtool/ecosconfig)

Peter Soetens peter.soetens@mech.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Sep 11 13:37:00 GMT 2003

On Thursday 11 September 2003 11:38, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 11:11:22AM +0200, Peter Soetens wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After using the build system a couple of weeks, I have the following
> > remarks/questions :
> >
> > * Shouldn't extension recognition be extended beyond .c,.h,.cxx,.hxx ?
> >       (and at which places must this be done ?)
>
> Well, this covers everything thats currently in the sources as far as
> im aware. Do you have a package written in Fortran, Ada, or some other
> language....

What about external packages using the .cc / .C / .cpp and so... on
extensions?

> > * ar -rcs is slow with large archive, better do first ar -rc and ranlib
> > at
>
>     the end.
>
> Actually, i don't think this works. Once you have run ranlib once, ar
> will always maintain the index unless -q is added. But we cannot use
> -q because we need to replace existing objects in the archives with
> new ones when we do a rebuild. Also, if you read the man page of gnu
> ar, it says -q does not in fact do a quick append but a replace!

Correct, but you should supress index building with 'S' and not -q. So :
ar rcS <.a file> <.o files>
ranlib <.a file>

Peter

Peter Soetens                                      http://www.orocos.org
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Division Production Engineering,                      tel. +32 16 322773
Machine Design and Automation                         fax. +32 16 322987
Celestijnenlaan 300B                   peter.soetens@mech.kuleuven.ac.be
B-3001 Leuven Belgium                 http://www.mech.kuleuven.ac.be/pma