[ECOS] TCP close(...) action

Matt Jerdonek maj1224@yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 15:25:00 GMT 2003

Gary,

I can't send the actual code, so I put together this
program.  I verified this program exhibits the same
behavior as I initially described.

In addition, I put some comments in the code regarding
the f_ucount.  This is a member of the cyg_file
structure which is associated with each socket.  Once
the f_ucount reaches 0, the FIN will be sent on the
ethernet.

#include <cyg/kernel/kapi.h>
#include <assert.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <network.h>
#include <cyg/posix/pthread.h>
#include <unistd.h>

#define STACK_SIZE 0x4000
unsigned char Stack[STACK_SIZE];
pthread_t ThreadHandle;
int sockfd;
void RecvThread(void);

int main(void)
{
	pthread_attr_t ThreadAttrib;

	init_all_network_interfaces();

	// Create thread to make TCP connection
	pthread_attr_init(&ThreadAttrib);
	pthread_attr_setstackaddr(&ThreadAttrib,
                                  &Stack[STACK_SIZE]);
	pthread_attr_setstacksize(&ThreadAttrib,
                                   STACK_SIZE);
	pthread_create(&ThreadHandle, &ThreadAttrib,
                      (void *)RecvThread,
                      (void *)NULL);

	// Give the thread plenty of time to connect
	sleep(15);

	// Workaround ...
        //  ... call cyg_thread_release() here ...
        //  ... on the RecvThread

	// Close the socket
	printf("Closing socket\n");
	close(sockfd);

	// The close will decrement the f_ucount ...
        // ... from 2 to 1, but the FIN will not ...
	// ... be sent until the recv is released.
        // ... See function fp_ucount_dec( ) ...
	// ... in io/fileio/ver/src/fd.cxx

	sleep(10);
	return(0);
}

void RecvThread(void)
{
	// Create socket and connect to host
	sockfd = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
	if (sockfd > 0)
	{
		struct sockaddr RmtHost;
		struct sockaddr_in *pRmtHost =