[ECOS] Is there any ecos port available for C167 micro-controller?

Andrew Lunn andrew@lunn.ch
Tue Oct 7 12:48:00 GMT 2003

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 08:57:00AM +0100, Huang, Q. wrote:
> Thank you very much Andrew,
> Is the reason that there is no GNU compiler support for C167 (16 bit architecture), which make it no possible to support eCOS?
>
> BTW what makes eCOS only runs on the 32-bit architecture rather than 16-bit?

Gcc is required for eCos. So the first step for any port is to get a
working gcc for the CPU. It also needs to be a reasonably recent
version of gcc.

If you have gcc support for a given 16bit processor, you can then do a
port. Since no one has ever done this, i expect you will find some
issues where code assumes 4==sizeof(int). eCos tries to keep this
clean with the use of cyg_int32 etc, but some of the imported code,
like the network stack, may not be so clean. I expect you will spend a
lot of time tracking down problems.

    Andrew