[ECOS] Problems with JFFS2 when mounted with < 5 sectors

Øyvind Harboe oyvind.harboe@zylin.com
Mon Oct 6 12:34:00 GMT 2003

I've got a JFFS2 fs mounted with only a single sector.

In this application, there is a phase where JFFS2 is written to,
and afterwards it is protected in hardware and never changed again.

JFFS2 scores over a ROM fs, because a ROM fs is normally created
on the developer machine during compile time, whereas the JFFS2
fs can be laid out by the application in the field.

To my surprise, JFFS2 will refuse to write more files if there
are less than 5 secotors free.

Having no fear, I set JFFS2_RESERVED_BLOCKS_WRITE = 0.

Apparently this is to avoid "endless gc looping".

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2003-April/007437.html

If someone could shed some light on this, I would be much obliged.

I posted this to the JFFS2 mailing list as well, but so far no luck.
Perhaps eCos people are more into the deeply embedded where JFFS2
mounted <5 sectors is more common...

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2003-October/008605.html

Øyvind