[ECOS] Building Microwindows without CYGPKG_NET as a linked application

jamesn nick.james@tait.co.nz
Mon Nov 24 21:10:00 GMT 2003

Hi

I'm building Ecos for a LEON target with the Microwindows package.

I've added a new option to microwindows.cdl specifiying screen driver,
null keyboard and null mouse. Eveything seems to be working as it
should, the library is building and linking with my application and
framework.

The problem is that I only have 512K bytes of space on the target
hardware and my present image with MW and NET package is around 640K bytes.
When building without NW and NET package the image is around 220K bytes.

Looking at the memory map file (with a kludged target.ld), it seems to
me that a large part of this overhead is the tcpip support and the
net_bsd_tcpip package in general.

I do not need microwindows to work in the X-client/server model -
calling the nano api routines directly (linked application?) would be
acceptable. Is this where the requirement for the NET package comes from.

I would like some advise on the feasability of removing the CYGPKG_NET
package,

DoeS aNyBody know if this is possible or, even better, has anyone done it?

Currently I have Ecos building with the Net packageas follows:

cdl_configuration eCos {
     description "" ;

     # These fields should not be modified.
     hardware    sparc_leon ;
     template    net ;
     package -hardware CYGPKG_HAL_SPARC v2_0 ;
     package -hardware CYGPKG_HAL_SPARC_LEON v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_HAL v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_IO v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_INFRA v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_ISOINFRA v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_KERNEL v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_MEMALLOC v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_LIBC v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_LIBC_TIME v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_LIBC_STDLIB v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_LIBC_STRING v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_LIBC_I18N v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_LIBC_SETJMP v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_LIBC_STARTUP v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_LIBC_STDIO v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_LIBM v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_POSIX v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_ERROR v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_IO_FILEIO v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_NET v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_NET_FREEBSD_STACK v2_0 ;
     package -template CYGPKG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS v2_0 ;
     package CYGPKG_MICROWINDOWS v2_0 ;
};

Thanks
Nick James

--
Software Design Engineer			DDI: +64 3 3571576
Tait Electronics Ltd