[ECOS] Multiple GCC's, keeping them straight

Gary Thomas gary@mlbassoc.com
Sun Nov 23 18:15:00 GMT 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 10:59, Chuck McManis wrote:
> I'm being challenged by having multiple GCC tool chains around. It occurred
> to me that some readers might do this because they have multiple
> architectures to support and could thus offer some advice.
>
> What I'm trying to do is to have gcc 3.3.2 both 'native' and 'target' mode
> in my path. The goal is actually to have gcj (both 'native' and 'target')
> in my path so that I can compile Java code into my ECOS application.
>
> It hasn't been working particularly well, and I seem to get hung up in the
> binutils (either ld or perhaps gas) picking up the native one when I want
> the target one. Do folks run multiple chains in the same directory
> (differentiated by "gcc" vs "i386-elf-gcc" for example) or do they run with
> multiple paths and set those paths in Makefiles or something?

The most common case (and certainly how I manage it) is to use prefixed
compilers, e.g. i386-elf-gcc, etc.  Trying to differentiate via paths is
bound to only cause you grief.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates