[ECOS] Flash device interface

Roland Caßebohm roland.cassebohm@visionsystems.de
Wed Nov 5 15:27:00 GMT 2003

On Dienstag, 4. November 2003 16:57, Roland Caßebohm wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I'm just trying to use the flash device interface (/dev/flash1)
> for accessing flash, but if I write to flash with write() I get
> an "I/O error".
>
> The problem seems to be, that flashiodev_bwrite() does not erase
> the region before programming it. I also think about a possibility
> to write regions, which are not block aligned.
>
> Maybe the function calls flash_erase() and flash_program() block
> by block and for the first and the last block which are not block
> aligned, it first makes a copy of the current flash content,
> replaces the to be written data in this copy and programs the copy
> back.
>
> I also want to use flash_read() instead of directly read the flash.
> Then it should work with flashes with indirect access too.
>
> Any suggestions?

In the attached patch I have made such a change, but as I have written
in an other mail the devfs which is used by this layer doesn't support
lseek() and fstat(). That's why it is even with this changes not
possible to use a flash image like a file.

But at least erasing the flash before writing it should be done,
else the flash content would be corrupted.

Roland