[ECOS] Creating eCos flash application image for AT91 EB40a Redboot

Øyvind Harboe oyvind.harboe@zylin.com
Fri May 23 12:53:00 GMT 2003

>However, there's a problem here in that if your
>executable is larger than the available RAM, which you
>say it is, then the usual mechanism of loading it into
>RAM and the writing it all to flash will not work. You
>may have to write a RAM-resident flash loader that
>downloads and writes chunks of data to flash.
>
>Once you have it in flash you can then execute it with
>the go command.

I see.

Is there a reason(other than that it isn't done yet)
why the Redboot load command does not support writing to flash?

It seems like all the hard pieces are already done. Previously
I worked with a home made bootloader, and it had a load command
that wrote directly from serial port to flash.

BTW, things are zipping along with eCos. Today I created a RAM hello
world app which flashed the lights and wrote a bit to
the second serial port. You might not think thats much, but the
hw guys here at the office where satisfied that eCos is probably
the better way to go for us. They were initially intimidated by
the amount compulsory reading to get going w/eCos.

Next I need to sort out all this flash business.

:-)

Øyvind