[ECOS] Arm ROM build help for beginner

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Fri May 23 01:50:00 GMT 2003

F.T.Nilsson@hw.ac.uk wrote:

> I have built an application that has been tested with the RAM start up. I
> now want to build it as a ROM start-up and actually but it on my e7t board.
> I have built the template as ROM start-up (instead of RAM as before). But
> there are little help on what to do next. Do I just compile my application
> against the install/include and lib?

You start with that, yes...

> How does the ROM image get generated?

The e7t is awkward. What you have to do is look at how ROM RedBoot is
built. Look at hal/arm/e7t/current/cdl/hal_arm_e7t.cdl near the end. Yes
it's a pain! The "ncs" mentioned throughout means "no checksum". To keep
Angel happy you need a checksum though, hence the rigmarole.

> Also, I use the cyg_io_read to read from COM0 and I am a bit confused. By
> using the function cyg_io_read does the COM port wait for information to
> arrive, blocking the program until all data have been sent?

By default yes, although there is a non-blocking mode if you prefer (or
you can query the buffer usage with CYG_IO_GET_CONFIG_SERIAL_BUFFER_INFO).
See
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/ref/io-serial-driver-details.html

> DISCLAIMER:
>
> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential

Oh no it isn't. This is a public mailing list with public archives.