[ECOS] Redboot with big block flashes and small amounts of ra m

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Thu May 1 01:36:00 GMT 2003

Rycerz Roman-G11565 wrote:
> Thanks for the info..
>
> We make powertrain control modules for automobiles and trucks.
> What I am trying to do is to use eCos/Redboot to give us some early software
> so we can begin functional testing of modules.
> And have the ability to port to different platforms easily....  eCos/Redboot
> seems to make that possible. Before the modules ship to customers the code
> is replaced with engine strategy.

40K of RAM is going to be tricky for RedBoot at the best of times anyway -
stuff like the GDB stub can use multiple surprisingly large buffers, and
it all adds up. I suspect you should try and do an eCos only application
and use the flash drivers directly from that..... even then you will need
to make changes to the flash drivers to avoid the read/modify/write of
whole sectors at a time, but instead erasing a sector and then just
writing multiple small bits.

If you do need RedBoot's loading abilities, you could either copy the code
from it, or make modifications to it, e.g. how it programs the flash so
that it does it in small amounts as data arrives. It will be a fair few
changes though.

Jifl