[ECOS] Max number of priorities using mlqueue scheduler

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Fri Mar 21 19:13:00 GMT 2003

Nick Garnett wrote:
> Nick Garnett <nickg@ecoscentric.com> writes:
>

>>What's needed is to add a two-level bitmap. This is something I
>>started working on some time ago, but other commitments meant that it
>>was sidelined. Also, this is a fundamental change to the eCos
>>scheduler. It's something I would only be happy checking in to an
>>experimental branch for prolonged testing. Putting it straight into
>>the CVS repository is a big risk.
>>

> Daniel,
>
> If you are interested in living on the edge, I have dusted off the
> two-level bitmap stuff I mentioned. I have only tested it on a few of the
> more thread-intensive kernel tests, and only with 32 and 1024 priority
> levels. No guarantees.

I wouldn't be so hesitant at checking it into the trunk... the fun only
starts when you set the priorities greater than 32. Bear this feature in
mind for a test farm permutation though :-).

One comment is that of course if we have 64 bit primitives available
anyway on an architecture, we should consider using those directly.