[ECOS] Vr4131 porting issues

Bart Veer bartv@ecoscentric.com
Wed Mar 19 14:20:00 GMT 2003

    Jura> Nick Garnett wrote:
    >> That's almost certainly a custom-made version. I don't know how much
    >> of that code made it back into the public GCC, though.
    >>
    >> Jurica, maybe you should try using a more recent GCC version, 3.2.1
    >> say, plus the matching binutils and gdb and see if the
    >> mips64vr4100el-elf target works for you.

    Jura> Indeed. :-)
    Jura> I downloaded mipsisa32 binaries
    Jura> (http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sources.redhat.com/pub/ecos/gnutools/cygwin/e
    Jura> coscentric-gnutools-mipsisa32-elf-1.4-2.cygwin.tar.bz2) and now
    Jura> Redboot -mpg32 seems to work too.

    Jura> I have a dumb question: what should MIPS ISA 32 stand for? I
    Jura> am acquainted with the ISA 1/2/3 - but don't get what should
    Jura> ISA 32 exactly represent.

mipsisa32-elf is the prefix used for some of the more recent eCos MIPS
ports like the Malta and Atlas boards, presumably at the
recommendation of GNUPro toolchain engineers, so that is the MIPS
toolchain built for 2.0beta. I don't actually know how useful that
toolchain is for other MIPS variants like the vr4100: maybe it will
just work, maybe the compiler will start issuing instructions that
don't actually exist on the vr4100. More subtly, the compiler could
generate sub-optimal code because e.g. it uses the wrong model for the
cpu pipeline.

For more information I suggest asking on a gcc mailing list, see
http://gcc.gnu.org.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                       eCos Configuration Architect