[ECOS] Re: Using eCos or not to use Ecos ?

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Mon Mar 17 19:57:00 GMT 2003

Stefano Gallina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote some simple assembly programs to comunicate to
> a serial port with SID.
> To compile them i used eCos libraries as suggested in
> the documentation but i found out that i can compile
> my assembly code without using arm-elf-gcc and eCos
> library.
> Infact i can use the arm-elf-as and arm-elf-ld instead
> of arm-elf-gcc.
> I was sure that comunicate with SID was necessary
> using eCos library.

It's one of the options, but sure you don't _have_ to use it. It was just
meant to give you a complete system quite easily.

> So why should i have to use eCos ? maybe to write my C
> program ?

It would help, and you get a lot of things "for free", i.e. all the
features of eCos. But sure, if you don't need them, don't use them.

> Are you interested to take a look at my assembly code
> ? if yes i am going to post it to you.

Don't really see the need.

> I am finishing my thesis, so please send some comments
> to me.

Good luck!