[ECOS] eCos build fails when INET support is disabled

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Fri Mar 7 12:04:00 GMT 2003

Gary D. Thomas wrote:

> A long time ago, in the mists of eCos' birth, we had plans (and even
> some attempts at implementing) randomized, full coverage of all
> configuration options.

Actually some pointy hairs had those plans and we kept trying to hit them
with a clue stick ;-).

 >  As eCos grew this became an exponentially
> large problem and over time was allowed to wither.  If one wanted to
> attempt this today, we'd enjoy seeing the results :-)

The problem is that many of the options _can't_ sensibly be tested unless
you have either valid hardware support or an appropriate application. Take
the option to enable an external kernel instrumentation buffer for example.

The most anyone ever proposed as a sensible solution to this was some
annotation in CDL that marked whether a config option could be changed for
testing, but I recall even that was rejected as too burdensome.