[ECOS] g++ and library missing on Mandrake 9.0

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Wed Mar 5 01:31:00 GMT 2003

Stefano Gallina wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I built eCos,SID and ARM-ELF toolkit under Red Hat 8.0
> and put all the compiled code in some CD.
> I went back home and i copied all the compiled code in
> the right directories and i run the command "make
> install" to do the installation.
> At home i use Mandrake 9.0 and.....
>
> - installig SID i got the message "c++: command not
> found".....maybe do i have to install g++ RPM ?

Yep. This may be required by make install, or may just be required because
the time stamps on the files weren't duplicated exactly so it thought it
had to rebuild things.

> - installing ARM-ELF i got the message "libc.so.6:
> version 'GLIB_2.3' non found"...maybe do i have to
> install another glibc version ? at the moment i have
> the libc-2.2.5.so.....do i have to reinstall ARM-ELF
> toolkit under Mandrake ?

Unless Mandrake has a glibc update, that's probably the only sensible
alternative.

> Have i written something wrong ?
> I am thinking to use RedHat instead of Mandrake !

In general it's better to build something on an older system if it's also
to be run on a newer one, and despite the "9.0" I believe Mandrake 9.0 is
older than RHL 8.0 - Mandrake just play version games.

With different distributions admittedly, it's possible that something that
is newer on one system is older on the other and vice-versa which means
you've no chance but to rebuild on both :-|.