[ECOS] ELF redboot with COFF linux image

Gary D. Thomas gary.thomas@mind.be
Tue Jul 29 15:31:00 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 09:25, Raghunath BK wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm in a situation where I have redboot image which is in elf format for our
> custom board (PXA255 based) and the linux kernel+apps in coff format. I
> don't think an ELF application can start an application which is in COFF
> format.
>
> Can redboot be built in COFF format? If yes, do I need to build the
> toolchain for PXA255 processor or is it downloadable somewhere?
> The Linux kernel+apps image I have is hard to change to ELF format, because
> third party libraries that some of the applications are using are in coff
> format.

The format that your Linux kernel builds, and more particularly the
format used by the applications, don't matter to RedBoot at all.

All you need to do to boot Linux is convert the COFF image to a raw
binary file.  Then just tell RedBoot that this is the case when you
load it.  For example:
  RedBoot> load -r -b 0x100000 linux_kernel.bin
  RedBoot> exec

The Linux kernel itself will take care of your applications.

--
Gary D. Thomas <gary.thomas@mind.be>