[ECOS] Re: porting ecos on ec555 light

Bob Koninckx bob.koninckx@mech.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Jul 2 09:26:00 GMT 2003

Please always copy the ecos list

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 11:00, Aakash Jain wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>

> I would really appreciate if you could answer some of my questions
> about porting eCos on the ec555 light.
>

> I have the ec555 light, the evaluation board supplied by Wuerz
> Elektronik, BDM Wiggler and have been using Codewarrior until now.

That won't work. You need the GNU tools.

>  Now I want port eCos to my board, but since its designed for the
> ec555 is it still possible to port it to a ec555 light?!

Start with redboot first. The rom version fits into the mpc555's
internal flash and does not need any external resources, so that should
be usable with the ec555 light. I suppose all you need to change will be
some board specific things like setup of the memory controller etc...

> Besides, I already built the library and tests using the eCos
> configuration tool,

good

>  but I cannot download the code onto the target to run the tests. I
> selected the appropriate serial port, but when I say Ā“RunĀ” the code
> simply fails to download and the test ends.

That's only logical. GDB expects something to talk to at the other end
of the line. You'll have to burn a (working) redboot image into the
internal flash first.

>  Do you have any idea as to how I can downlaod to the board and is it
> also possible to use downlaod the code using the Wiggler?

You can use the wiggler for programming the flash. Do you have any
external memory in your setup to run your application from. If not, I
don't think the ec555 light is a good development environment as it will
require reprogramming the internal flash for every new session. And as
this can only be done around 100 times on the mpc555 ... In addition,
debugging out of flash is a pain.

I suppose you better get an ec555 board first. Do all your development
there and as soon as you have the functionallity you want, you can start
thinking of squeezing it into the ec555-light. Permanent storage won't
be much of a problem, you have .5MB of flash. 26 kB of RAM might be
problematic tough.

Bob

> Looking forward to your reply.
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Aakash
ir. Bob Koninckx
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Division Production Engineering,                   tel.  +32 16 322535
Machine Design and Automation                      fax.  +32 16 322987
Celestijnenlaan 300B                  bob.koninckx@mech.kuleuven.ac.be
B-3001 Leuven Belgium               http://www.mech.kuleuven.ac.be/pma