[ECOS] RedBoot go command enhancement

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Thu Jan 30 21:39:00 GMT 2003

Gary D. Thomas wrote:
> [...]

Just doing it from _exit() would have to be optional and default off. In
the default config programs that don't use main but include the libc
startup package use the dummy one and so exit() is called.

And indeed this type of behaviour may be relied on in user apps now in the
sense that although we guarantee that exit() is called when the last
_POSIX_ thread is stopped, the same is not true of eCos native threads
which exist outside POSIX's control, about which we can't assume anything.

> Maybe we should have a HAL_THREAD_CONTEXT_SIZE macro defined
> by the architecture?  It just seems unsafe that one can't know
> how how much of the "stack" is used up for a saved context.

Uh, but we do :-). The under-utilised and unfortunately over-estimated
CYGNUM_HAL_STACK_CONTEXT_SIZE from hal_arch.h. But no matter... as you say
it's irrelevant.