[ECOS] Re: Beginner Questions: ECOS on a pc, STL availible?

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Tue Jan 28 04:17:00 GMT 2003

[ This is best directed to ecos-discuss so I've CC'd that instead]

Jim Don wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some questions regarding ECOS for anyone feeling generous to
> answer ;-)
>
> 1.) ECOS ... can i run it on a PC easily ? Or does it have to be on a
> real embedded platform.

Yes you can.

 > If I can run it on a PC how (in a shell/xterm etc)?

You can either use the linux synthetic target, which behaves like a real
target, but isn't quite as accurate as a proper simulator. That runs from
a shell/xterm.

Or you can use the proper PC target, which you can boot off a floppy or
IDE disk (although I think the patches to do this are still outstanding).
Or you can even boot using GRUB - the GNU boot loader.

> 2.) What about STL ? Can I get STL or modified one for embedded
> development? STL doesn't seem to be mentioned on the GNU tool pro kit
> doc's ... ?

Some people have reported success with STL, although no official port yet
exists. There are ways to add this _fairly_ simply.

> 3.) Is features like RTTI, and exceptions a good idea with ECOS if I can
> stay away from C++ mixed with C at the driver layer?

Exceptions and RTTI always add overhead everywhere if they're enabled,
even if they're only used in a small part of the code.

Support for this is to be added "soon". It has in fact been done, but has
not been done on all platforms, and therefore hasn't been checked in yet.