[ECOS] POSIX and uITRON question.(system level and application level?)

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Thu Jan 16 17:45:00 GMT 2003

Gary D. Thomas wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 18:22, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>>I don't know whether it's possible to configure/use a system
>>that has both Posix and uITRON packages.  In theory it should
>>be, but there may be implimentation practicalities that prevent
>>it.
>

> I seem to recall that we (the eCOs team) discussed this and decided
> that it would not work properly (uItron tasks are not very friendly
> with POSIX threads).  It also doesn't make much sense (at least not
> to me) - they are somewhat opposing ways of writing a realtime system.

Well sort of. They _can_ work together actually. But you don't get fully
compliant behaviour from one or other. For example IIRC uItron does not
have timeslicing at all (see CYGIMP_UITRON_STRICT_CONFORMANCE), whereas
POSIX requires it. uItron is still usable, but just not in a strictly
compliant way.