[ECOS] ecos license question.

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Wed Jan 15 14:19:00 GMT 2003

jake smith wrote:
> We are developing a commercial product using eCos (x86
> platform). We have made the following changes to the
> eCos .
> 1. We have Modified eCos serial driver for BREAK
> support.
> 2. Added custom keypad driver package to the eCos. No
> eCos files are modified.
>
>     Do we need to make our product Open Source ?
>
> We have also used redboot IDE source code in the
> application software.
>
>     Do we need to release full or part of the
> application code ?

I will assume you are using sources downloaded since May last year. The
answer is yes. All code derived from eCos code in full or part (even if
only copying bits from a single eCos file) must be either delivered to
your customers with the binaries you created (including if the binaries
are delivered on a device), or put up publically to any third party for
three years (and your customers informed that it's there).

The only code you can keep to yourself are files containing no eCos code
in part or full.

Of course we'd be interested in seeing your changes here anyway in case
they are useful enough to include, and if they are we appreciate it if you
could contribute them so you can give back a little of what you got from
eCos :-).

We have actually updated the licence summary on the web site to explain
all this just today:
<http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/license-overview.html> ( if it says eCos
is under the RHEPL then the old versions's probably been cached somewhere
so use shift-reload/ctrl-refresh to update it)