[ECOS] Can anybody compare the ARM tools (compiler, assembler,linker etc) to the GNUPro Tools ?

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Mon Jan 13 15:43:00 GMT 2003

Qiang Huang wrote:
> the one for altera excalibur. thanks.
> (If I want to use the ecos, must I always use the GNUPro tools set?

No, you don't have to use Red Hat's GNUPro tools - you can use the free
GNU tools.

 > if so
> the ecos is always compiler dependent. not like the RTOS: uCOS? so what's
> the advantage of using ecos as a compiler dependent RTOS? Thanks a lot.)

eCos is dependent on GNU tools yes (of which GNUPro is a variant). Being
compiler independent makes porting much more difficult (each compiler's
assembler is different) and reduces functionality (e.g. other compiler's
do not support important things like ordering of global C++ constructors).