[ECOS] Re: redboot for x86 baced PC
Fri Jan 10 06:43:00 GMT 2003
>Actually that sounds like it *isn't* trying to boot off the floppy. If it
>was and failed, it would likely just freeze.
>Did you definitely copy the .bin image to the floppy correctly? Can you
>try a different PC? Have you verified the BIOS boot order options?
As per instructions in the user guide i used "dd" command to copy .bin file into floppy.
i followed these instructions:
1. took a new floppy. formatted using "fdformat /dev/fd0"
2. mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
3. dd conv=sync if=/home/hv/redboot/redboot.bin of=/dev/fd0
4. when i tried "ls /mnt/floppy" it showed some junk characters. that is the contents of floppy.
so do you suspect anything wrong in copying the file. once i do "dd" what should be the contents of floppy.
5. I checked the BIOS boot order options properly. floppy is first.
6. rebooted the machine. the rest i have already told.
7. same floppy i tried in different machine (windows PC) by changing the boot order as floppy first. but still it does'nt work.
Meanwhile i will try in other linux machine. do you suspect anything wrong with procedure i followed
More information about the Ecos-discuss