[ECOS] Memory map setting?

Leandro Fanzone leandro@hasar.com
Wed Dec 24 07:53:00 GMT 2003

Well, I have the same problem. As far as I understand from the FAQ
(http://ecos.sourceware.org/fom-serv/ecos/cache/93.html), once there was
a program to do this, called Memory Layout Tool, but it no longer
exists. So you have to touch three files by hand: mlt_*.mlt, mlt_*.ldi
and mlt_*.h. Apparently nobody uses the first file (according to
hal-porting-platform.html, section "Layout Files"), it was intended for
the tool, and its structure is obscure to me. The other two are pretty
straightforward, and related to the linker you're using. There's a
little documentation at modifying-the-memory-layout.html, in the User
Guide doc.
In any case, I'm having a hard time modifying those, due probably to my
ignorance of the memory management. My problem is that malloc only can
alloc, in the FLOPPY model for i386, only some 150k. As I have two megs
on board, I wanted to move the heap to the upper second meg, or better,
to move the code up there, and leave the lower 640k to the heap and the
data, but I couldn't, the linker will always complain that either
vectors generate a "relocation truncated to fit", or if I can link at
all, it won't boot. Any pointers on this, appreciated.

Leandro Fanzone.