[ECOS] Automotive Applications

Alex Schuilenburg alexs@ecoscentric.com
Fri Dec 19 14:54:00 GMT 2003

Tyrel T. Beede wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    I did a search in the archives.  I didn't find much related to my
> topic of interest so here are a couple of my questions:
>
> 1.  Will eCos work well in an automotive control application like ABS or
> fuel injection?

Yes. There is no reason why it will not work well.

There are three automative manufacturers (General Motors group, Volvo
and the 3rd is under NDA) that we know use eCos in a variety of
automative control applications, ranging from car security, car/engine
monitoring and diagnosis through to voice control.

> 2.  What hardward is eCos most stable on?  I'm doing research for a
> traction control system and I think eCos might work quite well.  I need
> to monitor wheel speed sensors which gather tire speed data every
>      1/1000 of a second.  This information is collected and used to
> reduce engine torque in the even of wheelspin.  Any ideas for a place to
> start with the hardware?

As this is a research project, the choice of hardware will depend on
your budget IMHO.  Most of the upper end CPUs supported by eCos will
easily fulfill the requirements you stated above, so the choice is yours
really.

And if you select a platform that you later find is unstable, we will
certainly want to know about it.

HTH
-- Alex

Managing Director / CEO                           eCosCentric Limited
http://www.ecoscentric.com/              The eCos and RedBoot experts