[ECOS] What portions of eCos code can be locked in instruction cache

Michael Anburaj embeddedeng@hotmail.com
Thu Dec 18 23:25:00 GMT 2003

Sandeep,

Sometime back on an ARM920T with slow SRAM memory we had a problem with a
certain ISR. It demanded a very quick response, latency lesser than 2us. And
when we measured it using a logic analyzer it was randomly swinging between
8-30us. Moving this to FIQ (ARMÂ’s special fast IRQ option) did not help
much. So, I locked down the entire ISR path right from the HW vectors, 1st
level handler & the ISR into the I-Cache & the latency dropped down to <1us
(consistent).

This was one such situation; I guess different devices may have different
cache lockdown requirements.

Hope this gives an idea,
-Mike.