[ECOS] Re: [uClinux-dev] Microcontroller with many UARTS

John Williams jwilliams@itee.uq.edu.au
Tue Dec 16 03:52:00 GMT 2003

Steven Retz wrote:
> Does anyone know of a microcontroller with a lot of
> UARTS on it (preferably a Motorola)?  If not does
> anyone have any clues on how to connect say 16 or so
> UARTS to a microcontroller?  Right now it is for my
> curosity or something I would like to build for my
> home, but maybe try to sell it.

This is where an FPGA-based microprocessor like Xilinx Microblaze would
be perfect. You can create a system with as many UARTs as you want
(limited only by logic capacity of the FPGA).

The uClinux port to Microblaze is pretty solid, and adding kernel
support for numerous UARTs would be trivial.

See my website

http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~jwilliams/mblaze-uclinux

for more info on microblaze uclinux.

Regards,