[ECOS] how to create a red boot image for hard disk

Nick Garnett nickg@ecoscentric.com
Thu Dec 11 11:13:00 GMT 2003

"Giri" <giri@jntu.net> writes:

> hai,
>    can anybody please tell me how can i create the redboot image for hard
> disk.
>     my target platform is i386.
>
> 1. can i use the same redboot_FLOPPY.ecm file for hard disk. if not could
> u please send the appropriate one for hard disk.
> 2. what are the options in the configuration tool i need to modify for
> redboot image.

Currently there is no support for running RedBoot from an IDE
disk. The floppy booting RedBoot simply occupies the first 120-odd
sectors of the disk. Doing this on a hard disk would destroy any
filesystem on it.

For booting from formatted disks we support GRUB, but only to boot
eCos applications, not RedBoot since using a bootloader to load a
bootloader seemed a pointless exercise.

See the following documentation for details:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/setup-i386-pc.html