[ECOS] Re: Help with floppy start up type

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Wed Aug 13 15:28:00 GMT 2003


praveena@netindial.com wrote:
> Hey There,
> 
> I built eCos library for i386 PC target. Then i compiled the sample hello
> program in examples dir in ecos distribution. Then with the following
> commands copied the hello binary onto floppy.
> 
> $fdformat /dev/fd0H1440  (format floppy drive)
> $i386-elf-objcopy -O binary hello hello.bin (convert elf to binary)
> $dd conv=sync if=app.bin of=/dev/fd0H1440 (copy onto floppy)
> 
> But when i tried to boot with the floppy disk to test the 'hello' binary ,
> the binary boots properly(I can see the dots). But after that I see an
> empty screen with cursor blinking.
> 
> Any help on where I am going wrong. In the configuration tool, I have
> chosen Startup Type = FLOPPY and enabling the Build GDB Stub option.

The default diagnostic output channel I believe is the first serial port, 
not the screen. Connect your serial port to your host using a null modem 
cable at 38400-8-N-1, or edit the CDL configuration for the PC HAL to use 
the "screen" diagnostic channel by default. i.e. set the default 
debug/console channel to 2. (0,1 are first and second serial ports).

Jifl
-- 
eCosCentric    http://www.eCosCentric.com/    The eCos and RedBoot experts
--[ "You can complain because roses have thorns, or you ]--
--[  can rejoice because thorns have roses." -Lincoln   ]-- Opinions==mine



-- 
Before posting, please read the FAQ: http://sources.redhat.com/fom/ecos
and search the list archive: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss



More information about the Ecos-discuss mailing list