[ECOS] ld segfaults

Mark Grosberg mark@nolab.conman.org
Tue Aug 12 05:39:00 GMT 2003

Hello all,

I'm not quite sure how to report this bug. It seems to be a problem with
GNU ld for i386-elf as distributed from eCosCentric (and installed via the
ecos-install.sh script).

So far we have tried it on a RedHat 7.3 SMP machine and a RedHat 8 laptop.
In both cases, we can (sometimes) get ld to core dump. This seems easier
to do -ffunction-sections and -fvtable-gc.

The hardware is known to be good (and it has survived memtest86-ing). We
then decided to set MALLOC_CHECK_=1 and we got the following warnings:

malloc: using debugging hooksmalloc: using debugging
hooksmalloc: using debugging hooksrealloc(): invalid pointer
0x84add08!realloc(): invalid pointer 0x8515df0!realloc(): invalid pointer
0x8515e08!realloc(): invalid pointer 0x8515e20!realloc(): invalid pointer
0x8515e38!realloc(): invalid pointer 0x8516e38!realloc(): invalid pointer
0x8516e50!realloc(): invalid pointer 0x8477920!

So there is obviously something wrong with that version of GNU ld:

  $ i386-elf-ld --version
  GNU ld version 2.13.1 (eCosCentric)
  This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms
  of the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no
  warranty.

  $ sum `which i386-elf-ld`
  27836   496

Has anybody else experienced these problems? This is rather hard to
reproduce. As our code changes slightly, the bug comes or goes. I'm rather
reluctant to just go off and build the latest binutils without knowing
what that may effect.

Could this just be an issue with the versions of Linux we are using?

Thanks,
Mark G.