[ECOS] redboot on i386 serial ports

Nick Garnett nickg@ecoscentric.com
Wed Aug 6 12:02:00 GMT 2003

Reed Lawson <reedlawson@yahoo.com> writes:

> Thanks for the help, however, after rebuilding with
> the enet disabled, I still only get a bunch of dots
> (well, exactly 80 dots). Are they coming from redboot?
> I see no dots when DOS boots. I tried to find where
> the dots were printed, but no luck.
>
> Where do I start troubleshooting? This is "suppose"
> to be a standard 386 PC, but I'm starting to doubt
> since it obviously has no floppy controller. they are
> playing some tricks somewhere to get the flash to look
> like a floppy. Its General Software embedded BIOS.
>
> So, where do I start? What kind of hardware does
> redboot assume is there in the 386 config?
> (besides the enet that i disabled).

Mark Grosberg has given you a good list of things to try. Testing your
reboot image in a more standard PC is well worth doing. If that fails
then concentrate on getting it to work there before moving back to
your board.

If all else fails, you may have to start putting writes to the screen
buffer into the code. There was a brief thread on this a few weeks
ago, seach for PC_WRITE_SCREEN in the archives to find it. That thread
might also contain a few other clues on what to try to fix things.