[ECOS] PCI Ethernet card

Andy Dyer adyer@righthandtech.com
Tue Aug 5 02:08:00 GMT 2003

> Sounds scary! I have only 1 MIPS board & if it gets busted, that’s the
end
> of it. Cannot afford another MIPS board (Hobby development at home). I
guess
> the Atlas board has a 5v signaling PCI slot (the key ridge on the slot
looks
> like it). The COMPUSA NIC ($17 – but looks very much like the
> http://www.memorywizards.com/pd_edimax_en9130tx.cfm - The component
layout
> look very much like this, except it has more capacitors) has notches
at both
> ends. So, I guess I am safe (because the PCI on-board is 5v), Am I
right? Is
> there anything else I should take care before I insert this NIC on the
slot?

> After all, the COMPUSA NIC could suffer the same issue. If so, why pay
3
> times more for the same stuff with a different name. Any comments?

If your MIPS board has 5V PCI I wouldn't expect any problems.  Most PC
h/w
vendors are going to test on a few 5V PCI motherboards and ship it.
3V PCI is still a little weird and mostly seen in servers (66MHz
PCI is 3.3V).  Anybody who puts a $10 realtek NIC into a server deserves
what they get :-)

5V PCI has the 'keyway' away from the "back plate" end of the board,
3.3V PCI has the 'keyway' towards the "back plate".