[ECOS] success at last

Gary Thomas gary@mlbassoc.com
Sun Aug 3 13:14:00 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 23:31, Chuck McManis wrote:
> And to follow up on my last two questions:
> 1) Yes, added another IDE drive and now I don't get the diagnostic message.
> 2) Redboot locks on to the first "console" you talk to so I had used the
>     PC keyboard and then telnet was unavailable, rebooting and using telnet
>     first worked fine. (then of course the keyboard doesn't :-)

Actually what I think you are seeing is a combination of factors.
RedBoot only looks for new telnet connections at the start of a
command line.  Once the first (or any) character has been typed
it will stop scanning the network until the command has been entered
(via a "return").

RedBoot also handles the notion of multiple fixed console devices.  In
the case of a PC, these might be the display/keyboard and a serial
device.  After reset, RedBoot will look on all available ports until
some characters arrive.  At that time, only that particular "console"
will be used until reset (or use of the "channel -1" command.  Note
that this behaviour does not affect how telnet (network) connections
are supported.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates