[ECOS] VMA and LMA question

rakesh mljangir@yahoo.co.in
Fri Aug 1 10:44:00 GMT 2003

[Excuse me if this mail is irrelevent to these lists]

I have some question about VMA and LMA. I have read
manual pages of ld and linker script and found that
these address signifies load and run address of an
image. For an embedded system where there is no loader
these seems to be ok as there is no one to decide
where the image should be loaded and where to run
image from. But for an OS like linux this should be
decided by loader. Still I see VMA and LMA section
filled in a.out. If loader is going to decide load and
run address of image then what is significance of
these address and what about memory management unit
which does lot of paging and other stuff? I am very
confused about this. Can somebody explain this in
detail.

Regards
rakesh