[ECOS] Re: Reset a PCI device?

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Sun Apr 27 19:52:00 GMT 2003

Scott Wilkinson wrote:
> Jifl,
>
> This is with respect to the relatively new port to the MIPS IDT79S334A
> eval board.  I suspect you are correct, that this could/should go into
> the HAL_PCI_INIT code.
>
> This problem should only come about when downloading the redboot_RAM
> image through the IDT bootloader.  In this case the device appears to be
> CYG_PCI_CFG_COMMAND_ACTIVE (even though eCos has not yet configured it)
> and so eCos skips some configuration, or uses the existing settings.
> This is bad.
>
> I'm not sure we'll have a need, but if I put together a more appropriate
> patch I will happily pass it along.

That will be good, thanks. I think the normal way to configure this (so
the old behaviour would continue to work for those not using the IDT
bootloader) would be to allow multiple values of
CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR, rather than just a boolean; and require
developers to set that accordingly.

For example right now the IDT board allows the setting of that option to
"Generic", "CygMon", and "GDB_stubs", as well as disabling entirely (it's
flavor booldata, not just data). But the IDT port right now should only
have GDB_stubs or disabled - I didn't notice that when reviewing Tim's
patch. The proposed change to HAL_PCI_INIT would mean a new "IDT" option,
and thus the code would be conditional on CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR_IDT.

HTH,

Jifl