[ECOS] USB Help

Rupesh S rupeshs@myw.ltindia.com
Wed Apr 16 14:03:00 GMT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick Doyle" <WPD@dtccom.com>
To: <ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 6:43 AM
Subject: [ECOS] USB Help

> I am starting a project in which we are building a device that will, on
> occasion, need to connect to a Windows PC to download control and
> configuration information via USB.  Since I don't want to have to write
(and
> maintain!) any windows device drivers, I thought I would make my device
show
> up as a "standard" RS-232 USB device.  I was wondering...
>
> 1) Is this feasible?

It is very much feasible,

> 2) Can anybody give me a good starting point to come up to speed quickly
on
> USB?  (Right now, I can't even spell USB, but that will change rapidly.)

Jan Axelson's "USB Complete" is the best starter for USB.

> 3) The Windows application developers are all Java developers, and they
are
> excited about the possibility of communicating with the device via COM7
(or
> whatever).  Is there a better approach that I should consider?

windows has got support for virtual COMM Port driver (through USB).

> Any hints will be greatly appreciated.

Fortunately for u, the Emulated COMM Ports falls under a standard "Device
Cass" as referred by usb.org. Go through the "Communiation Class Device"
specification. U'll get this from usb.org. if u r not ble to get it.. tell
me,, I can send u.

All u got to do is to write a firmware for ur USB device so that it  matches
the USB CDC class.
Windows drivers will be loaded automatically, when u connect ur devic ewith
the above software.