[ECOS] arm evaluator e7t hangs when executing exemple progs/tests

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Fri Apr 11 21:28:00 GMT 2003

Matt Kober wrote:
> i'm using the eCos 2.0b1 and the prebuilt ecoscentric arm tools on a win host with cygwin (ecoscentric ecos cd).
> i built the ecos library using the e7t template and the default package configuration. no errors.
> i compiled and linked the twothreads example program just as described in the user-guide.
> i can download it without problems but the board seems to hang when the first task is being resumed. i get the following output :
[snip]
> the program doen't get past this point and the board isn't responding anymore. i can interrupt debugging by pressing ctrl + c after a while but need to reset the board to reestablish communicatoin with the board.
> any suggestions where to start searching for the problem ?
> btw: the hello world program and a thread test of the kernel tests show the same problem. the semaphore and mutex tests pass, though.
> thanks for your help

This doesn't look promising: the common element in this appears to be
whether interrupts and/or the scheduler is running. When you say semaphore
/mutex tests pass, would I be right in guessing that in fact mutex0 passes
but mutex1/2/3 don't?

It's possible the target has broken at some point :-|... none of the core
eCos developers have access to e7t's any more I believe. On the plus side,
it's very unlikely

The first thing to try is enabling assertions, by enabling
CYGPKG_INFRA_DEBUG in the infra package. If that doesn't show anything,
try enabling tracing output by enabling tracing in the infra package, and
switch it to "fancy" from "buffered" mode, so that it outputs immediately
so you see where it stops.

Also try compiling without optimisation (i.e. remove -O2 from the
CYGBLD_GLOBAL_CFLAGS, do a make clean, and rebuild) to remove the
possibility of compiler optimisations.