[ECOS] ARM AT91EB63 port

Ryan Press maillist@presslab.us
Tue Oct 15 12:09:00 GMT 2002

> At 06:27 PM 10/14/2002 -0400, Tim Drury wrote:
>>Ryan Press wrote:
>>>I'm starting to port the EB40 HAL to the EB63 development board and I
>>> was wondering if anyone else has worked on this already.  I was
>>> planning on creating another subdirectory i.e. "at91eb63" rather
>>> than using IFDEFs and modifying the existing AT91 HAL because of all
>>> the references to "EB40" in the existing port.  Does this sound
>>> okay?  Or should I modify the AT91 port?
>>
>>In my opinion, you should get Thomas Koeller's patch for that at91 hal
>> and apply that first.  This will rearrange the hal/arm/at91
>> subdirectory with a var/ (common) and eb40/ subdirectories.  Then
>> apply my patch which corrects a couple small issues with Thomas'
>> patch and creates an eb40a/ subdirectory.  Then look at the eb40/ and
>> eb40a/ ports and determine how they vary from the eb63.  Make the
>> appropriate
>>changes (memory layout, chip selects, clock speed) to the source
>> files.  Then update ecos.db and copy/paste the eb40 sections for the
>> eb55.
>>
>>For those wanting to port the eb55, you can do the same thing.  The
>> whole process should take only a couple hours.
>>
>>Patches can be found in the ecos-patches mailing list archive.  See
>> also this post:
>>http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2002-07/msg00338.html
>>
>>-tim
>

> I agree with Tim's recommendation. Using Thomas' patch it is
> much easier to port ecos to an other AT91 based board.
>
> We did on original port with ecos 1.3.1... and it was 'painful'. With
> the new 'var' architecture, it is straight forward ( a big
> thanks to Thomas!).
>
> 'hope his modifs are soon in the cvs.
>
> - Daniel

Well to support the EB63 I would have to change some things in the 'var'
subdir, both the 'at91_misc.c' as well as the 'hal_diag.c'.
Specifically the PMC needs to enable the clocks to the serial and
timer0.  Also the register addresses in 'var_io.h' are mostly different.

Would IFDEFs in the source be the way to go for this?  I think I might
just wait for these patches to be in CVS before I try to figure out the
correct structure..

Ryan