[ECOS] How does people think of ecos's future compare to so m any existing RTOS? eg.RT-Linux, Embedded Linux, VxWorks, etc.. Welcome to discuss

Grant Edwards grante@visi.com
Tue Oct 1 08:53:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 03:34:34PM +0100, Qiang Huang wrote:

> what I mean the time and cost fro trainning are because
> sometime we need to customize the OS for the particular
> platform or target.

So?  The same costs would be incurred if you picked vxWorks or
eCos.  In either case, somebody has to figure out how to
customize the OS to the platform.

> so developer not only need to learn how to use the OS also need
> to know more detail about it in order to customize (or port) it
> to the platform or target you are currently using.

A kernel is a kernel and a context is a context.  It might take
a week longer on a new OS, but that's usually minor compared to
the application development time.

If all other things being equal, sure, I'll pick the OS I know.
But, if there are technical reasons to choose A over B, I can
learn how A works without much fuss.  It's what I do.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com