[ECOS] redboot as debugger / bootstrap for RTLINUX ?

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Mon Nov 4 19:16:00 GMT 2002

Hi Bob!

Bob Koninckx wrote:

> Since eCos/Redboot have been ported to PC motherboards, I wondered if
> redboot could not be used as a bootstrap for RTAI or RTLinux
> applications which could then in turn be debugged over a serial line
> like any other embedded application. Anybody ever tried this? Any
> reasons why such an approach would probably not work ?

eCos programs use RedBoot for debugging facilities. The Linux kernel
expects to act by itself, and has its own GDB debugging stub. RedBoot can
help you boot Linux, but it would be a lot of effort to get it working for
debugging Linux.