[ECOS] having ecos working with third-party development environment?

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Mon Nov 4 19:06:00 GMT 2002

Bart Veer wrote:

>     Yin> Choice 2. Use ecos as library and have it built under GNU tools,
>     Yin>           write applications in 3rd-party IDE.
>
>     Yin>   The issue here seems to be that ecos uses GNU
>     Yin>   corss-compilers, and the application is developed using
>     Yin>   another set of cross- compilers/debugger.
>
> Building the application code with non-GNU tools would also cause lots
> of problems, although perhaps not quite as bad as building eCos itself
> with those tools.

If the non-GNU compiler is "link compatible" i.e. uses the same ABI, then
it's less of an issue, as long as we're talking about plain C, not C++.
Even then you must use only the GNU linker at the end.

Any semi-decent IDE should be able to call custom make rules to do builds.
Even many that are normally intended to be used only with the vendor's
compiler still allow that as you never know what some people want to do in
their builds!