[ECOS] Insight/GDB 5.2 Extremely slow on nano target (ethernet debugging)

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Mon Nov 4 18:57:00 GMT 2002

Warren Postma wrote:
> I'm using the precompiled Binary file of Redboot from the web, and I found
> serial debugging works about as well as I could have expected considering
> I'm talking at 38400 bps, but Ethernet is way too slow. Something is amiss.
> It also seems to lock up, and generally be unstable (application quits
> responding
> to user input, I can close it down only by killing the task from the windows
> 2000 task list).

Hmm...

> I'm using Insight 5.2 with a NanoEngine (strongArm) to run the tests
> included in ECOS cvs sources, (such as the stress_threads test).
>
> Insight is horribly slow  or else unstable when I use Ethernet.  Single
> stepping either takes forever just locks right up. I'm running the
> stress_threads test code from kernel tests.

Do you have Insight's threads window open? If so, every time the target
stops Insight has to interrogate it. With the number of threads involved
in the stress_threads test, this can take some to-ing and fro-ing, even
with ethernet!

Try the command line (arm-elf-gdb -nw) to see if it is faster.